Corn Cakes with ?Egg-shaped Pockets?
This is a typical dish from the Caribbean region of Colombia where they are sold on street stalls with a cup of coffee for an afternoon snack.
- 2 cups white corn flour
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- kosher salt
- 1 Tbs olive oil, plus more for frying
- 8 eggs
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Mix corn flour and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups warm water and one tablespoon olive oil until dough forms; knead until smooth, 2?3 minutes.
- Divide dough into eight 4-oz. balls.
- Heat oil in a saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325°.
- Flatten balls into round disks. Working in batches, fry, flipping once, until puffed, 3?4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Increase oil to 375°.
- Slice incision horizontally without cutting all the way through to make a pocket. Crack 1 egg into pocket; fry until egg is set, 2?3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels; serve with hot sauce (optional).
- Light Herbed Mushroom Soup Exotic and delicious taste, mushrooms soup brings many health benefits to your body ? with minimal calories. Light Herbed Mushroom Soup 1/3 of a recipe (9.9 ounces) Percent daily […]
- Greek Bean Soup (Fasolada) Fasolada is a traditional Greek soup, mostly prepared in cold weathers. It is a healthy combination of beans, tomatoes, carrots and various healthy spices. Bean lovers will appreciate […]
- DIY Spilled Coffee Prank for April Fool?s Day My kids are starting to get old enough to appreciate the fun of ?teasing? or ?tricking? people ? of course, we always emphasise that you need to keep it friendly and nice ? and that […]
- Kale, Barley and Cumin Soup, 37p Barley is one of the cheapest grains currently available in shops and supermarkets, and my mum made pearl barley soup for us when I was a child, loaded with tiny chopped spring […]
- Extra-Wholesome Banana Bread (VEGAN) This beautiful bounty of Sunday morning baking was based on the vegan banana bread in my first book, A Girl Called Jack, but uses some wholemeal flour and coconut oil for extra goodness. […]